21st Century Fair Housing Issues: What is covered?
Monday April 29th, 2019: 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM
Presenter: John T. Zimmerman, Vice President, Miami Valley Fair Housing Center, Inc. Mr. Zimmerman has been teaching civil rights classes for 18 years.
- Services of the Miami Valley Fair Housing Center
- Resources on the Web
- Fair Housing Basics
- Review need for individualized assessment process for screening applicants
- Welcoming People with Disabilities
- Keating Memorandum and Occupancy policies
- Applicant Screening in light of Criminal Histories
- Applicant Screening in light of Immigration
- Review updated policy guidance on harassment in housing
- Gain an understanding of key laws that protect people with disabilities
- Obtain Resources to assist clients who need barriers removed for full enjoyment of their place of habitation and assist professionals in the application of the law,
- Expand your knowledge of the standard or standards for reasonable accommodation that have been adopted by HUD and the Justice Department in 2004.
- Develop an awareness of the application of Fair Housing Laws with an emphasis on reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications for people with disabilities.
- Maximize your understanding of how to empower landlords and tenants to minimize housing related disputes with an emphasis on achieving reasonable modifications.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in the disability rights laws affecting housing such as
Disability and Housing Advocates, Social Workers, Discharge Nurses, etc.
Hosted by and Presented at: Access Center for Independent Living
New Location: Miami Valley Housing Opportunity: (Located inside on the first floor)
907 West Fifth Street / Suite 100 / Dayton, Ohio 45402
(937)341-5202 voice, (937)341-5217 fax, 711 Ohio Relay
PLEASE RSVP No later than Monday March 18th, 2019: Call (937) 341-5202 voice, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 711 Ohio Relay
Ask for Maria Matzik ext. 1007 / Space is limited! Register early! If you cannot keep your registration, please call to cancel!
Sign Language Interpreters and materials in alternative format: Available upon request.
Please request interpreter service and / or alternative format at least one week prior to the event. (937) 341-5202 voice or 711 Ohio Relay / Ask for Maria Matzik ext. 1007 / Email: email@example.com
The Access Center is a fragrance-free environment. We ask that you refrain from wearing cologne and scented products out of consideration for people with chemical sensitivities and breathing problems. We do our best to provide an environment that everyone can feel comfortable in.
Bus and Parking Info: Bus Access: Closest bus route is #8. South Passengers can get off at Norwood and Mound. The street sign for W. 5th is visible from there. Go to the corner that shows the W. 5th street sign and cross over the street. The building is right there: Miami Valley Housing Opportunity (The Access Center is located inside on the first floor)
For guests who drive: There is FREE parking in the parking lot of the building