Workshops - Community EducationThe Access Center presents a number of workshops meant to enhance an individual's understanding on a variety of topics during the year such as:
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Olmstead Decision
- Your rights under Medicaid
- Your rights under the Fair Housing Act
- Assistive Technology
- Understanding Stress
- Medicaid "Buy-In"
- Oppression, Stereotypes, and Stress
- Disability and Relationships
- LGBT and Disability
- Music Within - The true story of Richard Pimentel, a brilliant public speaker with a troubled past, who returns from Vietnam severely hearing -impaired and finds a new purpose in his landmark efforts on the behalf of Americans with disabilities.
- When You Remember Me - a fact-based story of Mike Mills, a teen with muscular dystrophy, who is placed in a nursing home by his destitus mother. There he must contend with being the only young person in the clinic and with an abusive head nurse.
- Rory O'Shea Was Here - a film that revolves around two disabled young men who pursue physical and emotional independence in direct defiance of "protective" insitutional living and their society's prevailing standards and attitudes, especially pity.
The Access Center charges a fee for workshops and some events. We ask that reservations are made in advance with your payment. Reservations made in advance cost $3.00 per Consumer, $5.00 per Professional / Agency Representative. Checks should be made out to: Access Center and mailed to or dropped off to: Access Center 901 S. Ludlow Street Dayton Ohio 45402 Attn: Events Coordinator. After the RSVP deadline the fee is $5.00 per Consumer and $7.00 per Professional / Agency Representative. (Please understand that if you are unable to attend a workshop after you have made an advanced payment the payment is non-refundable, unless the workshop is cancelled!.) If we do not have at least 10 people registered by the Monday before the workshop, the workshop will be cancelled. Please give us a telephone number when you register.
Clock Hours of Social Work Continuing Education has been approved for this program by the Access Center for Independent Living, Inc. who is an approved provider of continuing education for the Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board of Ohio. Provider #RSX031103.
The Ohio Board of Nursing recognizes Social Work clock hours for nursing license renewal continuing education hours. Other professions should check with their own board to determine if these credit hours may be used. In order to prepare the appropriate number of handouts and certificates, if you are attending this presentation to acquire CEUs, registration is REQUIRED! Anyone who is not registered may only attend the presentation if seating is available. ACIL consumers will receive first priority seating for this event. The fee, if you are attending this presentation to acquire CEUs the fee is $30.00. Please call Maria Matzik at: (937) 341-5202 ext 20#