We are so excited to celebrate, with you, the 30th Anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The Americans with Disabilities Act became law in 1990. The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public.
The purpose of the law is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. The ADA gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications.
We invite you to join our virtual celebration of this landmark legislation.
If you have questions for our presenters PLEASE email them in advance to: [email protected]
Questions will NOT be taken live due to our time limits. I will ask as many questions as I can given the limited amount of time.
Individuals who are Deaf or have hearing impairments, we will have an ASL interpreter live. You will need to pin that window to your screen for easy viewing. We will stream the live C-Print Captionist screen. The videos will be closed captioned.
Virtual ADA Day Celebration (Please Share):
Friday July 24th, 2020
1 PM to 3:30 PM (Ohio Time)
Zoom platform: Maria Matzik is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89145189543
Meeting ID: 891 4518 9543
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,89145189543# US (Germantown) 13126266799,,89145189543# US
Dial by your location:
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 891 4518 9543
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbMJ6Ja2Sy
- Jeremy Caffee, Access Center Executive Director – Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Maria Matzik, Access Center Education & Advocacy Specialist – ADA Day Address and Presenter Introductions
- Titled: Judy Huemann Ted Talk “Our Fight for Disability Rights and why we aren’t don’t yet” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABFpTRlJUuc&t=279s
- Titled: The Americans With Disabilities Act Signing Ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKicqqVME8&list=RDqXD7TckuVjM&index=7
- Diane Coleman: President and CEO Not Dead Yet / Disability Rights Activist
- Tom Olin: Photojournalist, social documentarian of the disability rights movement and Disability Rights Activist
- Jennifer Keelan Chaffins: Educator and Motivational Speaker, Author and Disability Rights Activist
- Shari Cooper: Blogger and Disability Rights Activist
- Julie Williams: Psychologist, Professor and Disability Rights Activist
- Dayton City Commissioner Darryl Fairchild – ADA Day Speech and Proclamation